Level 1 Questions
- The first explorer to sight California was:
a. Juan Cabrillo
- This English adventurer also landed on the California coast, claiming it for Elizabeth I:
d. Francis Drake
- The major Spanish road through California was called:
e. b and c are correct
- The Spanish built a series of forts in California, called
- The Spanish established several settlements in California known as:
- Spain lost control of California due to:
c. The Mexican Revolution
- The founder of the California Mission system was:
c. Padre Junipero Serra
Level 2 Questions
- California is named after:
c. A fictional Indian princess in a popular novel
- The Spanish referred to the region now known as the state of California as:
a. Alta California
- The division of California into Alta and Baja California was based on:
b. The boundary between the missionary jurisdictions of the Dominican
- The first major land expedition into California was led by:
a. Gaspar de Portola
- The first mission was founded in:
a. San Diego
- Which of these following was not a goal of the mission system:
d. To wipe out the California Indian population with disease and forced labor.
- Which of the following was a California Indian response to the missions?
d. All of the above.
- The revolt of the Yuma Indians in 1781:
b. Permanently severed land communications between Mexico and Alta California.
- The Russians established outposts in Northern California, such as Ft. Ross, in order to:
d. Hunt otters for their pelts
- The last year of Spanish control of California was: